CALL FOR ART
JURIED BY STEVEN WONG,
CURATOR LA MUNICIPAL GALLERY, BARNSDALL PARK
FRESH: not previously known or used; new or different. recent, latest, up-to-date, modern, modernistic, ultramodern, newfangled, original, novel, innovative, unusual, unconventional, unorthodox, radical, revolutionary, informal, offbeat
Open to all artists and all media; art made within the past two years.
Deadline for entries: January 19, 2019
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Steven Wong was born in the City of Angeles at Queen of Angels Hospital, a place that no longer exists. He is currently a curator at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Art Park. Previously he was the Interim Executive Director and the senior staff curator at the Chinese American Museum where he developed and implemented both contemporary art and history exhibitions. In 2014, Steven curated LA Heat: Taste Changing Condiments, an exhibit that brought together over 30 L.A. based artists from disparate art worlds, to explore sociocultural plurality and hybridity of L.A. via the city’s culinary innovation. As part of the Getty’s 2017 Pacific Standard Time LA/LA, Steven conceived of and co-curated an exhibition examining the historic circuits of migrations, cross-connections, and flows of artists and Chinese diasporic communities influenced artistic production within the larger development of Caribbean art. Previous to his work at CAM, he was the Director of Digital Literacy Initiatives at the Little Tokyo Service Center, and has lectured at UC Santa Barbara and was an adjunct professor at Ventura College and Pasadena City College in Asian American Studies, History and Art Studio Departments. Sill an artist at heart, Steven manages to create visual art in has exhibited in museums and galleries in Los Angeles and New York. Steven holds a Masters in Asian American Studies from the University of California, Los Angeles (1998) and a Master in Fine Arts from the University of California, Santa Barbara (2000).
South Bay Contemporary, SoLA Gallery, 3718 West Slauson Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90043
January 19, 2019: Deadline for entries
January 28: Artist Notification
February 16: Delivery of accepted work
February 23, 2019: Opening Reception
Exhibition Dates: February 23 – March 30, 2019
Pick up: March 31
Entry Fee (Non-refundable application fees): $35 for 3 images. $5 additional image.
– By Pay Pal: Select the Donate button on our “Contact” page here.
– Or by Check: Check made to SBC and mail to: South Bay Contemporary, Office, 96 Narcissa Drive, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Please email the following information to email@example.com. Please print “FRESH 2019″ in subject line of email.
- Mailing Address
Listing for Each Entry
- Artist Name
- Title, Date
- Dimensions (HxWxD)
- Retail Price
Attach Photo Entries
- Attach each .JPG/.JPEG with the file saved as Artist Name and Title of Work. (For example: AndyWarholCampbellsSoupCans.JPG)
- Two (2) images may be included for 3D works
- Jpg may be no bigger than 1 MB
You will be notified when we receive your entry. Please refer to the calendar for the details.
Terms and Conditions
- Submitted images of accepted work may be used by SBC, SoLA for press, website and other promotion.
- All work must remain in gallery for duration of exhibition
- Work left in gallery past pick up date will be charged storage fee unless other arrangements are made for pick up.
- Artist is responsible for shipping costs and arrangements to and from the gallery. Enclose return shipping label in package or make other arrangements with gallery prior to shipping.
- All framed work must be fit with wire, d rings or ready to hang securely. Let us know if you have other needs for installation.
- Gallery cannot store packing materials.
- Sales: 60% to artist / 40 % to SBC. Payment to artist for sales of artwork will be after the end of the exhibition.
- Liability: We will handle your work with utmost care and will provide a liability agreement to sign upon acceptance into the show, however neither SBC, staff, board or anyone connected to the exhibition is responsible for any loss, damage, breakage or theft of artwork while at the gallery. Your entry into this exhibition constitutes agreement with these terms and conditions as set in the prospectus.
Questions: email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Cell: (peggy) 310 429 0973